Monday 4 May 2020

Course offering 2020 - Tracy's English Reader's Theater Club



Tracy's English Reader’s Theater


I'm quick and smart as I can be. Try and try, but you can't catch me!-

This week’s Reader’s Theater is “The Adventures of Mouse Deer”, a tale of Indonesia and Malaysia, as told by Aaron Shepard. 

Texts here 

“Mouse Deer sings his song as he walks through the forest looking for tasty fruits and roots and shoots. Though he is small, he is not afraid. He knows that many big animals want to eat him -- but first they have to catch him!

Over the week we will be reading a series of 5 plays to find out how Mouse Deer gets the best of his enemies -- Tiger, Crocodile, and the most dangerous animal of all, Farmer!  We will also compare this Mouse Deer in this folktale to Anansi, which we read earlier.

*Tentative schedule:
Monday:  We will first learn the Mouse Deer song, lyrics at the top.
Introduction: pgs. 2-4   4 parts
Story 1:  pgs. 5-10   6 parts
Wednesday:
Story 2  pgs. 11-14    6 parts
Friday Story 3  pgs. 15-20   6 parts
Ending  pgs. 21-22   4 parts
*The schedule is just a suggestion.  We come together to learn from each other, refine our English, and most important, to have fun.

Looking forward to seeing you all Monday, at 9:00 am EST at out zoom link here.    
English Reader’s Theater Zoom Room:  https://us02web.zoom.us/j/6034936986

 Room opens at 8:45 for meet and greet.

Links you might want:
Our Anansi RT:  https://youtu.be/bqHa1SRjz98
Link to Mouse Deer song:  http://www.aaronshep.com/rt/RTE35.html
English Reader’s Theater Zoom Room:  https://us02web.zoom.us/j/6034936986

Tracy Hanson, Founder/CEO
Next Generation Global Education

Vigor International Humanitarian Award 2018
World Icon of Peace Through Transformation of Learning 2018





See the previous episodes of English Reader's Theater Club here on youtube

To join use this zoom link https://us02web.zoom.us/j/6034936986

Schedule: latest below

May 6th and 8th
English Reader’s Theater Club schedule for the week:
Wednesday: May 6 - “Where The Wild Things Are”
Friday:  May 8 - “The Giving Tree”

Know people who may want to join?   We meet every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 9:00 am EST (summer) at https://zoom.us/j/6034936986.  Have them send their name and country in an email with RTC in the subject to btracyh@gmail.com.  I am developing a notification list members will receive information on upcoming meetings with a pdf’s of the Reader’s Theater script (s). 
Note:- Two scripts below 

4th May
 Today's Reader's Theater is "The Elephant Child". If you don't know the story you can hear my reading two weeks ago. https://youtu.be/8KDOyQ-8EAw  
Topic: English Reader's Theater Club
Time: 9:00 am EST
Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/6034936986


YOUTUBE.COM
Today we read Rudyard Kiplings story explaining how the elephant got his trunk all due to his curiosity.

Comments


Where the Wild Things Are
by Maurice Sendak

Characters (6): NARRATOR CHILD 1 CHILD 2 CHILD 3 CHILD 4 MAX
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
NARRATOR: THE NIGHT MAX WORE HIS WOLF SUIT
CHILD 1: AND MADE MISCHIEF
CHILD 2: OF ONE KIND
CHILD 3: AND ANOTHER.
NARRATOR: HIS MOTHER CALLED HIM
CHILD 4: "WILD THING!"
NARRATOR: AND MAX SAID:
MAX: "I'LL EAT YOU UP!!"
CHILD 1: SO HE WAS SENT TO BED
CHILD 2: WITHOUT EATING ANYTHING.
NARRATOR: THAT VERY NIGHT IN MAX'S ROOM
MAX: A FOREST GREW, AND GREW, AND GREW UNTIL THE CEILING HUNG WITH VINES
CHILD 3: AND THE WALLS BECAME THE WORLD ALL AROUND
CHILD 4: AND AN OCEAN TUMBLED BY
MAX: "WITH A PRIVATE BOAT!"
NARRATOR: FOR MAX. AND HE SAILED OFF THROUGH NIGHT AND DAY
CHILD 1: AND IN AND OUT OF WEEKS CHILD 2: AND ALMOST OVER A YEAR
MAX: TO WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE!
NARRATOR: AND WHEN HE CAME TO THE PLACE WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE THEY
CHILD 3: ROARED THEIR TERRIBLE ROARS! (ALL ROAR)
CHILD 4: AND GNASHED THEIR TERRIBLE TEETH! (ALL GNASH TEETH)
CHILD 1: AND ROLLED THEIR TERRIBLE EYES! (ALL ROLL EYES)
CHILD 2: AND SHOWED THEIR TERRIBLE CLAWS! (ALL SHOW CLAWS)
NARRATOR: TILL MAX SAID:
MAX: "BE STILL!"

CHILD 3: AND TAMED THEM
CHILD 4: WITH THE MAGIC TRICK
MAX: OF STARING INTO ALL THEIR YELLOW EYES
CHILD 1: WITHOUT BLINKING ONCE
NARRATOR: AND THEY WERE FRIGHTENED AND CALLED HIM
ALL: THE MOST WILD THING OF ALL!!
NARRATOR: AND MADE HIM KING OF ALL WILD THINGS.
MAX: "AND NOW, LET THE WILD RUMPUS START!! (PAUSE) NOW, STOP!"
CHILD 3: AND SENT THE WILD THINGS OFF TO BED
CHILD 4: WITHOUT THEIR SUPPER....AND MAX
CHILD 1: THE KING OF ALL WILD THINGS, SAID:
MAX: "I'M LONELY!"
NARRATOR: AND WANTED TO BE WHERE SOMEONE LOVED HIM BEST OF ALL
CHILD 2: THEN, ALL AROUND, FROM FAR AWAY, ACROSS THE WORLD
NARRATOR: HE SMELLED GOOD THINGS TO EAT!! SO HE SAID:
MAX: "I'LL GIVE UP BEING KING OF WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE."
CHILD 3: BUT THE WILD THINGS CRIED
CHILD 4: OH, PLEASE DON'T GO
CHILD 1: WE'LL EAT YOU UP
CHILD 2: WE LOVE YOU SO
NARRATOR: AND MAX SAID:
MAX: "NO!"
CHILD 1: THE WILD THINGS ROARED THEIR TERRIBLE ROARS (ALL ROAR)
CHILD 2: AND GNASHED THEIR TERRIBLE TEETH (ALL SHOW TEETH)
CHILD 3: AND ROLLED THEIR TERRIBLE EYES(ALL ROLL EYES)
CHILD 4: AND SHOWED THEIR TERRIBLE CLAWS (ALL SHOW CLAWS)
NARRATOR: BUT MAX STEPPED INTO HIS PRIVATE BOAT
CHILD 1: AND WAVED GOOD-BYE (MAX WAVES)

CHILD 2: AND SAILED BACK
CHILD 3: ALMOST OVER A YEAR AND IN AND OUT OF WEEKS AND THROUGH A DAY
MAX: AND INTO THE NIGHT OF MY OWN ROOM
CHILD 4: WHERE HE FOUND HIS SUPPER WAITING FOR HIM
MAX: "AND IT WAS STILL HOT!"



The Giving Tree
By Shel Silverstein
Narrators 1-11, Boy, Tree

Narrator 1: Once there was a tree......
Narrator 2: And she loved a little boy.
Narrator 3: And every day the boy would come and he would gather her leaves and make them
into crowns and play king of the forest.
Narrator 4: He would climb up her trunk and swing from her branches and when he was tired, he
would sleep in her shade. And the boy loved the tree.....very much.
Narrator 5: And the tree was happy. But time went by, and the boy grew older. And the tree was
often alone.
Narrator 6: Then one day the boy came to the tree and the tree said:
Tree: Come, Boy, come and climb up my trunk and swing from my branches and eat apples and
play in my shade and be happy.
Boy: I am too big to climb and play
Narrator 7: said the boy.
Boy: I want to buy things and have fun. I want some money. Can you give me some money?”
Tree: I’m sorry
Narrator 8: said the tree,
Tree: but I have no money. I have only leaves and apples. Take my apples, Boy, and sell them in
city. Then you will have money and you’ll be happy.
Narrator 9: And so the boy climbed up the tree and gathered her apples and carried them away.
And the tree was happy...
Narrator 10: But the boy stayed away for a long time...... and the tree was sad.
Narrator 11: And then one day the boy came back and the tree shook with joy, and she said:

Tree: Come, Boy come and climb up my trunk and swing from my branches and eat apples and
play in my shade and be happy.
Boy: I am too busy to climb trees,
Narrator 1: said the boy.
Boy: I want a house to keep me warm. I want a wife and I want children, and so I need a house.
Can you give me a house?
Narrator 2: I have no house. The forest is my house.
Narrator 3: said the tree
Tree: but you may cut off my branches and build a house. Then you will be happy
Narrator 4: And so the boy cut off her branches and carried them away to build a house. And the
tree was happy.
Narrator 5: But the boy stayed away for a long time and the tree was sad.
Narrator 6: And when he came back, the tree was so happy she could hardly speak.
Tree: Come, Boy
Narrator 7: she whispered,
Tree: Come and play.
Boy: I am too old and sad to play. I want a boat that will take me away from here. Can you give
me a boat?
Tree: Cut down my trunk and make a boat,”
Narrator 8: said the tree.
Tree: Then you can sail away and be happy.
Narrator 9: And so the boy cut down her trunk And made a boat and sailed away. And the tree
was happy.
Narrator 10: But not really. And after a long time the boy came back again.
Tree: I am sorry, Boy, but I have nothing left to give you. My apples are gone.
Boy: My teeth are too weak for apples.

Tree: My branches are gone. You cannot swing on them.
Boy: I am too old to swing on branches.
Tree: My trunk is gone. You cannot climb me.
Boy: I am too tired to climb
Tree: I am sorry. I wish that I could give you something but I have nothing left. I am just an old
stump. I am sorry...
Boy: I don’t need very much now, just a quiet place to sit and rest. I am very tired.
Tree: Well,
Narrator 11: said the tree, straightening herself up as much as she could,
Tree: an old stump is good for sitting and resting. Come, Boy, sit down and rest.
All Narrators: And the tree was happy.

Scripted by Chase Young

No comments:

Post a Comment

Football Summer Camp Kenya

  Summer Week being organised in Kenya, 100 kids expected, currently only have one football contact for ideas please CaSO Youths   or Vienna...